Case Study: Custom Map versus Map Product Solution
The City of Sydney has developed a map showing the locations of development applications (DAs). The map can be viewed at the following location:
This paper provides a comparison between the development of a custom solution such as this versus a product based solution that would be achieved using a product such as Maprosoft, producing the following comparable map:
This study is based on the City of Sydney's DA map solution as of June 2013. The solution may subsequently change, however, the theory would be unaffected.
The following table provides a summary of estimated costs of the custom development:
|Code to generate the custom data feed at development.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/DataSource/DANotifications/DAsOnline.xml.||Unknown||
- An average development team delivers 12 500 lines of code per year per member (source: Cutter Consortium, www.cutter.com).
- An average development team member costs $110 000 per year (source: Greythorn Australian Salary Survey and Market Report, 2012-2013).
- Based on the previous two assumptions, one line of code costs $8.80 to develop.
Based on the assumptions and amount of custom code developed, the City of Sydney development applications map cost $9,249 to develop.
A Maprosoft enterprise license costs $10,000 (pricing as of June, 2013).
The custom development applications map only delivers a single type of map. A solution such as Council Map Server will deliver any number of maps. Further, Maprosoft provides the following extra functionality:
- Combine the DAs map with other features such as parks, building zones, etc.
- Directions, street view, virtual tours.
- Mobile app integration.
- Map resizing.