Creation of Map Data for Maprosoft
Maprosoft is not intended for use as a spatial data management tool. For this reason, it does not provide functionality allowing spatial data to be created or edited because these are the roles of spatial data management tools.
If you do not have a spatial data management tool, you can use the 'My places' feature of Google Maps to create data for use with Maprosoft. Here are some step by step instructions showing how some spatial data can be created using Google Maps and imported to Maprosoft:
- Navigate to http://maps.google.com in your web browser.
- Click on the 'My places' button (you may be required to log into with your Google account).
- Click on the 'Options' icon at the top right and then click on the 'My PLaces' menu item from the drop down menu.
- Click on the 'CREATE MAP' button.
- Add some features to the map and give it a name. All the features in the map must be of the same geometry type (point, line or polygon) since it will be imported to Maprosoft using one 'feature type'.
- When finished adding the features to the map, click on the icon that looks like a folder and then select the 'Export to KML' menu item from the drop down menu.
- This will download a KML file containing the features in your map. Save this KML to a web server or file server that can be seen by your installation of Maprosoft.
- Using your web browser, log in to your Maprosoft administration web application.
- Create a new 'feature type' corresponding to your map.
- Create a new KML Subscription using the new feature type and the URL of your KML file save previously.
- Execute the KML Subscription so that Maprosoft imports the feature of the KML.
Please let us know if you have any difficulty in understanding these instructions or if you find any errors.
Instructions showing how to link to the KML are available on Youtube.